Basic flan case
Take the beans out first.
4/5 This dork has baked the case with the beans in it. Very lumpy pastry! The Judge
Follow this recipe to make the basic flan or quiche case and then fill it with a filling of your choice.
I am a believer in ready-made pastry, it's cheap and easy and stores in the fridge ready for use.
I managed to buy a single sheet of reusable greaseproof paper from Wilkinson's recently. I looks like plastic but is oven proof and can be wiped clean and used again and again.
- 500 g packet of Jus Roll shortcrust pastry (use half if making one flan)
- 1 10" push out flan dish
- Baking beans or dried pulses
- Greaseproof paper
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6)
- Roll out the pastry to fit your baking tray
- Lightly grease the base and sides of the tray with olive oil
- Press the pastry into the edges and if possible, leave a little folded over at the edge as it will prevent the pastry from shrinking back into the tray. It can easily be trimmed once your flan has been baked.
- Lay the greaseproof paper over the pastry and fill with the baking beans or dried pulses, making sure that they are pushed into the edges of the dish.
- Blind bake the flan for 10 minutes.
- Remove, lower the heat to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4)
- Remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans, pour the filling of your choice into the flan case and bake for a further 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before attempting to remove the flan from the dish.
- Asparagus and broccoli flan
- Basic quiche case
- Bean and roasted red pepper flan
- Crayfish chili quiche
- Egg and bacon quiche
- Frankfurter quiche
- Kidney flan
- Prawn 'n' Pepsi flan
- Quiche Lorraine
- Smoked salmon quiche
- Spicy kidney flan
- Three cheese quiche
- Spicy three cheese flan with sesame seeds
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#bakingbeans #dried #basicflancase #bake #pulses #miseenplace #baked #bakingtray #oliveoil #fridge #greaseproofpaper