From Cookipedia(Redirected from Vangyache Bharit)
Baba Ghanoush or Baba-Ganouj, babaganus, patlican salatasi (Turkish), melitzanosalata (Greek), mutabal (Armenian), salata de vinete (Romanian), Baigan Bharta (Hindi) ,Vangyache Bharit (Marathi), padlizsánkrém (Hungarian) is a kind of popular Middle Eastern dish made primarily of aubergine (eggplant) , mashed, and mixed with various seasonings. Frequently the aubergine is baked or broiled over an open flame before peeling, so that the pulp is soft and has a smoky taste.
Baba ghanoush is usually eaten as a dip with pita bread, and is sometimes added to other dishes. It is usually of an earthy light brown colour.
A better recipe than this one!
After a few experiments, I've come up with a recipe that is far superior to the original in my opinion. It's not too different but the addition of more garlic, frying the garlic and adding the roasted red pepper makes it more robust and adds a little sweetness too.
- 3 aubergines
- 4 tablespoons light tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- Juice from half a lemon or lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 Pitta breads or crispbreads
- Handful of crushed walnuts or toasted flaked almonds
- Cook the aubergines over a hot grill or barbecue until the skins are well burnt
- Turn them regularly
- You can also impale them on skewers (better metal than wooden ones) and roast them over the barbecue, again turning often
- Set them aside to cool
- Halve them and scoop out the soft flesh
- Put the flesh into a food processor together with the garlic, yogurt and tahini. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Blend into a smooth paste and add the lemon or lime juice
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkled with paprika and crushed nuts.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.