Baba ghanoush with roasted red pepper
Baba Ghanoush or Baba-Ganouj, babaganus, patlican salatasi (Turkish), melitzanosalata (Greek), mutabal (Armenian), salata de vinete (Romanian), Baigan Bharta (Hindi) ,Vangyache Bharit (Marathi), padlizsánkrém (Hungarian) is a kind of popular Middle Eastern dish made primarily of aubergine (eggplant) , mashed, and mixed with various seasonings. Frequently the aubergine is baked or broiled over an open flame before peeling, so that the pulp is soft and has a smoky taste.
Baba ghanoush is usually eaten as a dip with pita bread, and is sometimes added to other dishes. It is usually of an earthy light brown colour.
The original baba ghanoush recipe can be found here, but I think this version is more interesting and has a degree of sweetness.
- 2 aubergines
- Half a red pepper
- 2 heaped tablespoons light tahini
- 4 fat cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- Juice and zest from half a lemon or lime
- A good pinch of salt
- A pinch of whole cumin seeds
- 4 Pitta breads or crispbreads
- A few olives, walnuts or toasted flaked almonds to garnish
- Brush the aubergines and the red pepper with a little olive oil and roast over a hot grill or barbecue until the skins are well burnt
- Turn them regularly, about 5 to 6 minutes a side will be fine.
- You can also impale them on skewers (better metal than wooden ones) and roast them over the barbecue, again turning often
- Set them aside to cool, ideally in a sealed Lock & Lock box
- Scoop out the soft flesh, discarding the outer skin but reserving some of the toasted sut surfaces.
- Crush the garlic and saute in 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Don't let it burn. At the last minute, add the whole cumin seeds. Allow the oil to cool before processing.
- Put the scooped flesh into a food processor together with the garlic, yogurt and tahini. Season to taste with salt
- Blend into a smooth paste and add the lemon zest and juice
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#pittabreads #aubergines #tahini #babaghanoushwithroastedredpepper #barbecue #redpepper #yogurt #lemon #aubergine #mashed #almonds