Spaghetti with a creamy hummus sauce
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 225g (8 oz) dried spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 150g (5 oz) fresh button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 225g (8 oz) hummus
- 3 tablespoons of Crème fraiche
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- lime juice or lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Cook the spaghetti for 10 minutes in a large pan of boiling water. Drain well and return to the pan.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat the oil and butter, add a few grinds of black pepper, a shake or two of lime or lemon juice and gently sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Reserve one spring onion for garnish and stir in the hummus, crème fraiche, paprika and remaining spring onions and gently simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Toss the spaghetti in the hummus sauce and serve, garnished with chopped parsley and spring onion slices.
Fresh tomatoes balance this rich, creamy dish very well.
Substitute Sundried tomato hummus for a more colourful version.
Make your own pasta from scratch
The normal (non-Youtube) recipe for home-made pasta is here if you prefer.
- A basic hummus recipe using a blender
- A selection of simple ways to vary your hummus intake!
- Hummus with sundried tomatoes
- Hummus with preserved lemons
- Hummus made in a Thermomix
- Another Thermomix hummus recipe
- A melted cheese and hummus bake
- A blog post on the health benefits of hummus + 8 recipes from Jen Reviews (NZ)
- A quick hummus recipe from the Beeb
- Wikipedia hummus article
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.