Hummus 2 (TM)
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 200g dried chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1.2kg tap water
- A further ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 6 cloves garlic (or to taste), crushed to a paste
- The juice of 1 large lemon
- 100g water from the chickpeas
- 40-50g extra virgin olive oil
- Coriander leaves, to taste
- Extra EVOO
- Smoked paprika, eg Pimentón de La Vera
- Place the chickpeas and bicarbonate of soda in a jug and cover with twice the volume of water. Leave to soak for 12-24 hours.
- Drain the soaking water from the chickpeas, rinse and drain again.
- Place the chickpeas in the internal steaming basket and the tap water and ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda in the bowl 50 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1.
- The skins should be loosening and the chickpeas soft - if not, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Drain (reserving some of the liquid) and leave the chickpeas to cool.
- Remove the skins if a very smooth hummus is desired.
- To the bowl (no need to wash) mix the tahini, garlic and lemon juice with a handful of the chickpeas 30 seconds / Speeds 5-7-9.
- Scrape down the inside of the bowl.
- Add the remaining chickpeas, the chickpea water and the oil 30 seconds / Speeds 5-7-9.
- Add the coriander leaves 30 seconds / Speeds 6-8-10 or until you have the desired fineness of coriander.
- Serve in dishes drizzled with the extra oil and sprinkled with the paprika.
If you want a more textured hummus, reduce the blending times and speeds accordingly.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.