Hummus 2 (TM)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 200g dried chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1.2kg tap water
- A further ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 6 cloves garlic (or to taste), crushed to a paste
- The juice of 1 large lemon
- 100g water from the chickpeas
- 40-50g extra virgin olive oil
- Coriander leaves, to taste
- Extra EVOO
- Smoked paprika, eg Pimentón de La Vera
- Place the chickpeas and bicarbonate of soda in a jug and cover with twice the volume of water. Leave to soak for 12-24 hours.
- Drain the soaking water from the chickpeas, rinse and drain again.
- Place the chickpeas in the internal steaming basket and the tap water and ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda in the bowl 50 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1.
- The skins should be loosening and the chickpeas soft - if not, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Drain (reserving some of the liquid) and leave the chickpeas to cool.
- Remove the skins if a very smooth hummus is desired.
- To the bowl (no need to wash) mix the tahini, garlic and lemon juice with a handful of the chickpeas 30 seconds / Speeds 5-7-9.
- Scrape down the inside of the bowl.
- Add the remaining chickpeas, the chickpea water and the oil 30 seconds / Speeds 5-7-9.
- Add the coriander leaves 30 seconds / Speeds 6-8-10 or until you have the desired fineness of coriander.
- Serve in dishes drizzled with the extra oil and sprinkled with the paprika.
If you want a more textured hummus, reduce the blending times and speeds accordingly.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chickpeas #bicarbonateofsoda #hummus #tahini #corianderleaves #dried #garlic #flatbreads #chickpea #hummus2tm #lemonjuice