Cuban callaloo quiche
One of Carla's grandmother's original Cuban recipes.
My mother prefers this recipe without the scotch bonnet peppers.. ..but this dish only has a hint of it and is a nice fiery way to enjoy a quiche! If you prefer the Jamaican version of this recipe, just add a bit more Scotch pepper sauce.
for the crust
- 2 cups flour ( my grandmother would use 1 cup barley flour and 1 cup all purpose flour)
- 8 tablespoons cubed cold unsalted butter,
- ¼ teqaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon double cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
for the filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- ½ red bell pepper minced
- ½ teaspoon Scotch bonnet sauce or habanero chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz cooked or canned callaloo, drained and finely chopped
- 125 ml milk
- 6 eggs salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Make the crust: Combine flour, butter, and salt in a food processor, and pulse until pea-size crumbles form. Add cream and egg, and pulse until dough forms. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for a least 1 hour.
- Roll dough until ¼″ thick; using a 4″ round cutter, cut out 8 circles and transfer each circle to a muffin tin cup, forming pleats on the sides so it fits in the cup. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add garlic, onion, pepper, and chile sauce, and cook, stirring until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in 6 oz. cheddar, callaloo, milk, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Divide evenly among muffin cups, and sprinkle tops with remaining cheddar.
- Bake until golden brown and set, about 30 minutes.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
Random recipe review
Tell your Mum this is lovely. Spicy omelette!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#flour #dough #cubancallalooquiche #onion #cheddar #butter #eggs #unsaltedbutter #callaloo #sauce #egg