Cuban callaloo quiche
One of Carla's grandmother's original Cuban recipes.
My mother prefers this recipe without the scotch bonnet peppers.. ..but this dish only has a hint of it and is a nice fiery way to enjoy a quiche! If you prefer the Jamaican version of this recipe, just add a bit more Scotch pepper sauce.
for the crust
- 2 cups flour ( my grandmother would use 1 cup barley flour and 1 cup all purpose flour)
- 8 tablespoons cubed cold unsalted butter,
- ¼ teqaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon double cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
for the filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- ½ red bell pepper minced
- ½ teaspoon Scotch bonnet sauce or habanero chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz cooked or canned callaloo, drained and finely chopped
- 125 ml milk
- 6 eggs salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Make the crust: Combine flour, butter, and salt in a food processor, and pulse until pea-size crumbles form. Add cream and egg, and pulse until dough forms. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for a least 1 hour.
- Roll dough until ¼″ thick; using a 4″ round cutter, cut out 8 circles and transfer each circle to a muffin tin cup, forming pleats on the sides so it fits in the cup. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add garlic, onion, pepper, and chile sauce, and cook, stirring until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in 6 oz. cheddar, callaloo, milk, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Divide evenly among muffin cups, and sprinkle tops with remaining cheddar.
- Bake until golden brown and set, about 30 minutes.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#flour #dough #cubancallalooquiche #onion #cheddar #butter #eggs #unsaltedbutter #callaloo #sauce #egg