Cashew nut pilau rice
- 225g basmati rice
- Up to 75 ml peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 bulbs garlic (or to taste), crushed
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- The seeds of 4 green cardamom pods
- 450ml warm vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g savoury cashew nuts
- Coriander leaves, chopped (to garnish)
- Soak the rice in cold water for at least 30 minutes, then drain well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring constantly so that all the grains of rice are coated in the oil.
- Pour in the stock and add the bay leaves and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is cooked and has absorbed the liquid - about 12-15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and stir in the nuts.
- Adjust seasoning and garnish with the coriander leaves.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.