Broudou bil hout (Fish soup) (TM)
2 as a main course or 4 as a first course
- 25g olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium pepper, de-seeded and quartered
- Garlic, to taste, peeled
- Pinch saffron, pounded
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- Salt, to taste (be careful if you are making the stock with a bouillon cube)
- 500ml fish stock, water or court bouillon
- 1 preserved lemon, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 small bulb fennel, with leaves, chopped
- 650g mixed fish and seafood, skinned, boned, peeled etc and cut into small pieces, if necessary
- A few sprigs parsley, finely chopped
- A few sprigs coriander finely chopped
- Add the oil to the TM and heat for 5 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1.
- Add onion, garlic and pepper, and chop for 5 seconds / Speed 5.
- Scrape down the sides of the TM bowl.
- Add the saffron, cumin, cinnamon harissa and salt (if using) and cook for a further 5 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1.
- Add the stock, preserved lemon and tomatoes and cook 10 minutes / 100°C / Speed Spoon.
- Put the potatoes and fennel in the internal steaming basket and steam 10 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- Oil the Varoma Bowl and arrange the fish inside it.
- Place the Varoma on the TM lid and steam 15 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1.
- A minute before the end of the cooking time, add the parsley and coriander to the TM bowl.
- Place the fish, potatoes and fennel in bowls and pour the sauce over them.
Serve with bread.
You can also add 2 tablespoons of capers, 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds and/or 1 teaspoon ground coriander. Use the juice of 1½ lemons instead of the preserved lemons and if you do not have any harissa, substitute it with 1 teaspoon paprika and ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#fennel #maincourse #harissa #fish #potatoes #parsley #garlic #coriander #saffron #preservedlemon #stock