Sous vide barbecue short ribs
Yet another experiment at sous vide cooking using my homemade sous vide conversion kit. Short ribs are probably much better suited to slow cooking (Beef short ribs (slow cooker recipe)) than sous vide cooking as they need prolonged cooking to break down the fats and collagen to make them palatable. 10 hours in the slow cooker is just about right from the experiments I've done. Anyway, to my thinking, the benefits of sous vide cooking in a sealed pouch would be in concentrating the marinade flavours.
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon Heinz tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 square of Bournville chocolate
- 2 tablespoon muscovado sugar
- 50 ml ruby port
- Mix the marinade ingredients together (I microwaved them for a minute just to melt the chocolate and enable it to mix well)
- Place the marinade and the short ribs in an oversized vacuum pouch. This helps prevent the marinade being sucked into the sealer.
- Cook sous vide at 75° (167°F) C for 24 hours.
- Sous vide cooking
- Category:Sous vide recipes
- Sous vide cooking times
- How to cook sous vide meat to different levels of doneness
- Safe minimum cooking temperatures
- SousVide Supreme sous vide cooker
- Anova Standalone sous-vide water heater and circulator
- Home made sous-vide slow cooker conversion kit
- Vacuum sealer (generic)
- Andrew James Professional Quality Vacuum Food Sealer Machine
- Vacuum sealed containers
- Andrew James 8.5 Litre Professional Sous Vide Water Bath Cooker
- Burton Sous Vide Water Bath
- Can the Crockpot Slow cooker and Multi cooker be used as a sous vide bath?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.