Beef short ribs (slow cooker recipe)
Having discovered a great supplier for my beef short ribs and making Barbecue beef short ribs, I thought I would try other ways of cooking them. As they make such a substantial meal, I just used 2 ribs for 2 people. This meant cutting the now frozen 4 ribs (pictured) in half. You need a clean hacksaw for this, it's no job for a knife!
Normally I would brown the meat and onions, but I thought I would try to make this a speed preparation that you could throw in the slow cooker before going out for the day. I'll cook it on low so all the collagen breaks down into lovely gravy.
If you get a chance, it helps to skim any excess fat and give it a stir halfway through, however, it will be fine without.
Beef short ribs.jpg
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 600g beef short ribs - (2 ribs), half the quantity pictured
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon fine yellow cornmeal (plain flour would be fine)
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 160 grams bacon lardons
- 1 oxo cube, crumbled into 150 ml boiling water
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 6 banana shallots, peeled and cut into rings
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed and roughly chopped
- 300 ml red wine
- A splash of port
- Juice and zest of a lime
- A small bouquet garni (I used thyme, sage, 2 bay leaves, rosemary and parsley)
- Switch the slow cooker on to the low setting before you start to prepare.
- Mix the mustard, yellow cornmeal together and add to a plate
- Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the ribs
- Roll the ribs in the flour to coat
- Add the ribs to the slow cooker with any leftover flour. Place them meat-side down.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker
- Stir well
- Cover with a layer of tin-foil
- Slow cook for 10 hours on low, skimming any fat halfway through if possible
- After 10 hours, skim any fat, remove the bouquet garni and serve
Ask your butcher for 'beef short ribs from the plate', or Argentine ribs. You don't want back ribs as these are not the same. I understand from talking to a butcher that this particular cut of beef is also known as 'Jacob's ladder'.
I've found it difficult to obtain beef short ribs from anywhere but a specialist butchers and even then, they needed to be ordered in advance. I was delighted to discover F. Conisbee specialist butchers had them in stock. 4 Argentine ribs for £21.04. Robert cut them in half again lengthwise with the bandsaw. One of these half-ribs per person is plenty!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.