Gammon soup from Geneva.
- 400 g of salty unsmoked gammon in one piece
- 2 litres stock or water
- 500 g of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1 large onion. chopped
- 125 g of long grain rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 50 g chervil, stalks removed and chopped
- Place the gammon in a large pan with with the stock or water, bring to a boil and skim.
- Add the potatoes, leeks and onion.
- Boil a few minutes, continuing to skim.
- Reduce the heat, cover and continue cooking for 1 hour.
- Remove the gammon, reserve and keep warm.
- Add the rice to the soup, season lightly and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the gammon into thin slices.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the gammon slices and garnished with the chervil.
- Sticky Marmalade Gammon - A classic way to serve roast gammon
- Marmalade glazed jerk gammon - Jamie Oliver's hot and spicy gammon recipe
- Gammon and pineapple - A match made in heaven
- Branston pickle coated roast gammon - Branston pickle is a great accompaniment for ham and gammon, here it's hot!
- Soupe génevoise - A gammon soup from Geneva
- Sous vide roast gammon - Gammon cooked the modernist way
- Spicy gammon steaks with pineapple - Gammon and pineapple, with a spicy touch
- Gammon and vegetable pasta in mustard sauce (TM) - Gammon pasta cooked in a Thermomix
- Our pork recipe section is here
- An interactive Glazed gammon cooking time calculator - You give a carve time, we give you a when and what list.
- Safe meat cooking temperature (pork) - How to ensure your pork is properly cooked
- Cuts of pork - Where it all comes from
- Processed meat leads to an early death - Go easy on the bacon!
- RSPCA - Think Pig Campaign - and be kind to the animals
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.