Shchi is a soup that contains cabbage or sauerkraut, but this version is unusual in that it combines 4 different kinds of meat. This is a recipe from the Russian Federation.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 turnip, coarsely chopped
- 1 parsnip, coarsely chopped
- 250 g beef, cut into 4 pieces
- 200 g lamb, cut into 4 pieces
- 100 g chicken, cut into 4 pieces
- 100 g duck, cut into 4 pieces
- 1.5 litre water
- 700 g sauerkraut
- 1 knob of butter
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 120 ml sour cream
- Take a large stock pot and add one of the chopped onions, half each of the chopped carrot, parsnip and turnip and all of the meat.
- Add 1 litre of cold water and boil for 2 hours, adding the salt after 1 hour.
- Strain the beef/vegetable stock and ditch the vegetables.
- Add the sauerkraut to the stock and beef.
- Bring back to the boil, add the remaining vegatables (cut into fine strips) and herbs.
- Boil for 20 minutes and allow to stand , covered, for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Mix in the cream and serve.
This is a trial recipe, so any suggestions for improvement would be welcome.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.