Salmi of game
This recipe needs advance preparation!
I know that cooker!
5/5 That's from The London Science Museum! The Judge
This recipe for leftover game comes from The Radiation Cookery Book, 1935 edition. It was originally published in 1927 as a guide to using the "New World Regulo-Controlled Gas Cookers".
The recipe contains olives which may have been difficult to find in the UK at the time.
- 600g Roast game, preferably underdone
- 2 shallots
- A piece each of carrot, turnip and celery
- 6 olives
- 1½ oz [40 g] butter
- 1½ oz [40 g] flour
- Salt and pepper
- Bag of herbs [bouquet garni], bay leaf, peppercorns, a clove, and a blade of mace
- ¼ pint [140 ml] port wine
- Cut the meat from the game into pieces and simmer the bones in water to make game stock.
- Chop the shallots, and cut up the other vegetables and stone the olives.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the vegetables and olives and fry until brown.
- Remove the vegetables and olives and add the flour.
- Stir and cook until brown, add about ¾ pint [420 ml] of the game stock to make a thick brown sauce.
- Add the salt, pepper, herbs, spices and wine.
- Simmer gently about 20 minutes.
- Place the game in a casserole and add the sauce passed through a strainer.
- Add the bag of herbs.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 45 minutes with the "Regulo" at mark 1 [140 C/275 F].
- Remove the bag of herbs before serving.
- Make a border of mashed potatoes and serve the salmi in it.
Make a border of mashed potatoes and serve the salmi in it.
Sippets [croûtons] of toast may be served with the salmi in place of the olives.
If your leftover cooked game no longer has any bones, eg, pigeon breast or boned venison haunch, you can substitute with beef or chicken stock according to the type of game you are using. --JuliaBalbilla 05:08, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#game #olives #vegetables #salmiofgame #herbs #simmer #mashedpotatoes #shallots #bones #chicken #potato