Rye and spelt bread
This loaf which is particularly suitable for the Panasonic SD-255 bread machine, can also be made in other machines, so long as you follow your manufacturer's handbook.
I've found that with all brown or wholemeal flour bread recipes, half a vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) crushed between two tablespoons (about 100 mg) and added to the flour, seems to prevent a heavy, poorly risen loaf. It has an effect on Glutathione (WIkipedia) which has an affect on the the elasticity of the dough.
- 2 teaspoons easy-bake yeast
- 250 g rye flour
- 250 g spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon cooking salt
- 360 ml water - or by weight instead of volume, 360 g water
- Place the ingredients into the pan in the order in which they are given above. If using a machine other than the Panasonic SD-255, refer to your handbook for the correct order for your own machine.
- Set to the rye bread option and in 3½ hours you will have your baked loaf.
- If your machine does not have a rye setting, choose one that has the nearest fit to one that kneads for about 10 minutes, rises for about 1½ hours and bakes for 1 hour. Make sure that the ingredients are warmish beforehand.
You will probably find that the loaf has a slightly sunken appearance - this is perfectly normal.
- We have a number of brown and wholemeal bread recipes for especially for a bread making machines:
- Basic brown loaf
- Small wholemeal loaf
- Wholemeal loaf (20%) wholemeal flour 80% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (50%) wholemeal flour 50% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (75%) wholemeal flour 25% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (100%) wholemeal flour
- Seeded wholemeal bread
- Rye and spelt bread
- Ballymaloe brown bread
Too heavy for my taste
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#ryeandspeltbread #yeast #rye #driedfruit #flour #spelt #ryeflour #mustard #wholemealflour #cheese #bread