Seeded wholemeal bread
This bread is delicious! I was feeling lazy today and made this in my breadmaker. The recipe is designed to be made with a Panasonic breadmaker. Depending on your model, add the seeds to the nut dispenser or into the pan when your machine bleeps. For other breadmakers, follow your manufacturer's instructions regarding the order in which you add your ingredients.
- 1¼ teaspoons fast action dried yeast
- 550g strong wholemeal flour (I like to use Waitrose Very Strong Canadian wholemeal flour)
- 1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 25g butter
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 360ml sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons each of linseeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, black mustard seeds and sunflower seeds
- Add the ingredients (except the seeds) in to your machine in the order given - non-Panasonic owners should refer to their manufacturer's instructions as to the order you should add them.
- If you have a nut dispenser, place the seeds into it.
- Set to Whole Wheat - Bake Raisin and the bread will be baked in 5 hours.
- For Panasonic machines without a dispenser, add the seeds when you hear the beep.
- For other machines, select a wholemeal programme which kneads for roughly 15-10 minutes, rises for at least 2 hours 20 minutes and bakes for around 50 minutes.
- When the baking time has ended, remove from the pan and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- Again, other makes of machine may recommend that the loaf should be left in the pan before the final cooling.
Vary the seeds if desired, but ensure that you restrict your large seeds to two and use three smaller seeds. A suggestion for large ones is melon seeds. Smaller seeds could include poppy, celery, yellow mustard, nigella, chilli etc
Remember that the addition of ingredients such as seeds will give a heavier dough, which is why I recommend using Canadian wheat flour which is very strong. If your usual wholemeal flour makes a denser loaf, you could add a crushed vitamin C tablet to the flour. It is to your personal taste.
- We have a number of brown and wholemeal bread recipes for especially for a bread making machines:
- Basic brown loaf
- Small wholemeal loaf
- Wholemeal loaf (20%) wholemeal flour 80% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (50%) wholemeal flour 50% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (75%) wholemeal flour 25% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (100%) wholemeal flour
- Seeded wholemeal bread
- Rye and spelt bread
- Ballymaloe brown bread
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.