Small wholemeal loaf
This is an experimental loaf made with Waitrose Very Strong Canadian wholemeal flour. The mixing and the rising has been done in a Panasonic SD-255 breadmaker, the final kneading, plus rising in a 250g loaf tin and baked in the oven.
I've found that with all brown or wholemeal flour bread recipes, half a vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) crushed between two tablespoons (about 100 mg) and added to the flour, seems to prevent a heavy, poorly risen loaf. It has an effect on Glutathione (WIkipedia) which has an affect on the the elasticity of the dough.
- ½ teaspoon Easy Bake yeast
- 270g Waitrose Very Strong Canadian wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon Claybrooke Mill Organic Dough Improver
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 180ml water
- Place all of the ingredients in the breadmaker in the order specified by your manufacturer.
- Set to 'wholewheat' setting - this process takes 3 hours and 15 minutes. For the Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker this is menu option 18.
- Remove from the breadmaker, knock back and knead thoroughly.
- Place in a greased 250g loaf tin and leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size. - This may take an hour or several, depending on the heat, but but a slower, and therefore longer, rising will be of benefit.
- Bake at 200° C (400° F - gas 6) for about 35 minutes.
Dough improver can be obtained from Lakeland.
- We have a number of brown and wholemeal bread recipes for especially for a bread making machines:
- Basic brown loaf
- Small wholemeal loaf
- Wholemeal loaf (20%) wholemeal flour 80% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (50%) wholemeal flour 50% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (75%) wholemeal flour 25% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (100%) wholemeal flour
- Seeded wholemeal bread
- Rye and spelt bread
- Ballymaloe brown bread
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#smallwholemealloaf #wholemealflour #breadmaker #dough #yeast #bake #wholemeal #flour #vitaminc #knockback #hand