Wholemeal loaf (20%)
This is the breadmaker recipe we make the most. Although there is only 20% wholemeal flour, which does not seem much, the resulting loaf has that nutty wholemeal flavour without the indigestible quality of higher ratio wholemeal bread. It also keeps reasonably well and makes great toast once it is passed its best as fresh bread.
I've found that with all brown or wholemeal flour bread recipes, half a vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) crushed between two tablespoons (about 100 mg) and added to the flour, seems to prevent a heavy, poorly risen loaf. It has an effect on Glutathione (WIkipedia) which has an affect on the the elasticity of the dough.
It will almost certainly work for most breadmakers and is worth trying if you have lost your instruction book!
The timer may be used for this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon dried active yeast - Place in the yeast container if your breadmaker has one.
- 100 g (3.5 oz) strong strong wholemeal flour
- 400 g (14 oz) strong strong white flour
- Half a vitamin C tablet (ascorbic acid) crushed between two tablespoons (about 100 mg)
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 30 g (1 oz) butter
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 345 ml water - or by weight instead of volume, 345 g water
- Place the ingredients in your breadmaker in the order shown
- Select wholewheat Bake program (5 hours), for the Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker this is menu option 04.
- Select Large Loaf size
- Rise and bake (5 hour cycle)
- We have a number of brown and wholemeal bread recipes for especially for a bread making machines:
- Basic brown loaf
- Small wholemeal loaf
- Wholemeal loaf (20%) wholemeal flour 80% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (50%) wholemeal flour 50% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (75%) wholemeal flour 25% white flour
- Wholemeal loaf (100%) wholemeal flour
- Seeded wholemeal bread
- Rye and spelt bread
- Ballymaloe brown bread
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#wholemealflour #breadmaker #vitaminc #butter #strongwhiteflour #panasonicsd253 #strongwholemealflour #breadmakers #driedactiveyeast #brownflour