Ovnbagt leverpostej (Baked liver pâté)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
This is Denmark's 'national spread' which is commonly served on open sandwiches
- 340g pigs' liver
- 225g pork fat
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 1 small onion
- 60g dried breadcrumbs
- 30g butter
- 30g flour
- 280g milk, warm
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 340g pork fat cut into 3mm strips
- Mince the liver, pork fat, anchovy fillets and onion onion using a fine blade three times - see Variation below.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in a little of the milk.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the milk gradually to avoid lumps and cook until you have a thick sauce.
- Cool, and stir in the egg and seasonings.
- Mix the sauce thoroughly and the breadcrumbs into the liver mixture until well blended and smooth.
- Line a 750g loaf tin or terrine with strips of pork fat so that they overlap slightly and cover the bottom and sides of the container.
- Put the liver mixture into the container and cover with strips of pork fat.
- Cover with a double thickness of tin foil.
- Bake at 180C / 350F, Gas 4, Fan 160C for 1½ hours.
- Remove foil, allow to cool and chill thoroughly before serving.
This recipe assumes you have a mincer. If you don't have one, a food processor will do the trick - just watch it to make sure it doesn't become too mushy.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#porkfat #liver #breadcrumbs #onion #butter #anchovyfillets #flour #egg #sauce #mince #dried