Hugh's merguez liver and onions
I saw Hugh-Fearnley Whittingstall make this last night, oddly, on one of his vegetarian programs! It looked delicious. I have made a few small changes, but it's basically the same as i remember it on television.
The trick is to slice the liver thinly and to cook it quickly.
- 300g lambs' liver, any veins removed and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, freshly ground
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of smoked Spanish paprika
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Splash of sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
add when frying
- Place all of the ingredients in a Lock & Lock-style box, close the lid and shake well to combine.
- Leave for 30 minutes to marinade.
- Heat a pan or a wok over a high flame.
- Add the liver mixture to the pan.
- Add the butter and the whole seeds and sauté for about 3 or 4 minutes turning regularly to ensure even cooking.
- Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from River Cottage Vegetarian TV program [4th February 2013]
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.