Gulyas (Hungarian casserole)
It have adapted it from a version in Jocasta Innes' wonderful: "The Pauper's Cookbook" ISBN 978 0 7112 2240 3
- 1kg pork shoulder, cut into 2.5 cm (1") chunks
- 2 tablespoons of duck fat, goose fat or olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons of Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (if not using hot paprika)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 6 chicken thighs, on-the-bone, with skin removed
- 2 green peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 glass of red wine
- 284 ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
- 1 medium sized spicy sausage such as chorizo, roughly cut into bit-sized pieces
- 473 ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 1 400 ml can of plum tomatoes, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300 ml sour cream
- Heat the duck fat or oil in a pan or wok, add a big pinch of black pepper and brown the chicken and pork all over
- Once the meat is browned, transfer to the slow-cooker and soften the onions in the wok, adding the crushed garlic for the last minute or so
- Add the wine to the wok and deglaze well.
- Pour the resulting liquid into the slow-cooker
- Pour over the chicken stock, add the crushed caraway seeds , paprika, chilli powder, tomatoes and spicy sausage.
- Top up with just hot water to cover
- Slow cook on low for 8 hours, it won't hurt to stir it every few hours if you are able
- As with the stirring, if you can, add the green pepper strips an hour before the end of the cooking time, as they will retain a little bite. If you can't, then add them at the start.
- Season to taste and serve
- Adapted from a version of Gulyas in Jocasta Innes' wonderful: "The Pauper's Cookbook", ISBN 978 0 7112 2240 3
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#wok #paprika #chickenstock #chillipowder #sausage #carawayseeds #duckfat #blackpepper #crushedgarlic #chorizo #oliveoil