Get well soon soup / casserole
Annie has not been so well for the last few days, so now that she's up to eating again, I thought I would have a bash at my own version of homemade soup for flu and cold as it is supposed to be remedial. Now it's made, it looks more of a casserole than a soup, a posh soup maybe?
I can use it as another excuse to play with Taste Sensation's seasonings and I can serve it with Knicat Bakeries marvellous Pammie's Baps.
I'm cooking it in the slow cooker but could be cooked in half the time if you needed. A nice and lazy way to cook it on the day before Christmas.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of pink seas salt
- 1 large shallot, very finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250 g chicken breast meat, thinly chopped (2 small breasts)
- 6 medium sized button mushrooms very thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped into small cubes
- 1 nest of vermicelli noodles
- 750 ml cold water
- Half a cup of dried red lentils
- 1 tablespoon of Taste Sensation All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Rinse the red lentils in cold water then boil for about 10 minutes in plenty of water until they have just a little 'bite' to them
- Rinse well again under cold water.
- Add the oil and butter and black pepper to a pan or wok (or slow cooker if your has a stove-top function)
- Sautee the shallot and garlic slices for 5 minutes, then add the chopped chicken, mushrooms and carrots and stir-fry for a further 5 minutes
- Now add everything together into the slow cooker and cook on low for about six hours, adding extra hot water if it looks like it may need it.
Serve with Pammie's baps (or your own choice of nice bread rolls).
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#slowcooker #redlentils #dried #shallot #butter #carrot #stove #chicken #sautee #getwellsoonsoupcasserole #blackpepper