Beer battered fried fish
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Fish and chips)
Ideally serve with chips.
- 2 Thin fish fillets (suggested: cod fillets, basa fillets, catfish fillets, tilapia, or flounder)
- Oil with a high smoke point (groundnut oil, canola oil, sunflower oil)
- 1 Egg white, whisked
- 1 cup plain flour (all purpose flour)
- ½ pint (236 ml, 1 cup) beer or lager, or ½ pint (236 ml, 1 cup) cold water
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- extra flour to dust the fish
- Start heating the oil. This recipe is intended for fast cooking in very hot oil.
- Get the batter ingredients ready to mix.
- Microwave the fish, to ensure that the inside is hot. Flip the fish as you microwave it. When done, the fish should be hot and should look half-cooked.
- Mix the flour, egg white, and beer.
- Pat a fish dry with a paper towel, then lightly dust it with flour to ensure that it is really dry.
- Dip the fish, and your hand, into the batter. Coat them well. The batter will help protect your hand from splatter.
- Hold the fish right above the oil, then gently slide the fish into the oil.
- With tongs, nudge the fish as needed to keep it from sticking to the bottom. Turn the fish over as it cooks.
- Remove the fish when it looks good, then serve it immediately.
We have a number of chip (french fries) recipes:
- Classic french fries
- Heston Blumenthal's Triple Cooked Chips
- Spiced rooster oven chips
- Potato wedges recipe
- Tex-Mex potato wedges
- What are the best potatoes for chips
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.