The trick to these wonderful home fries is frying them twice.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6 - Moderate)
- Half fill, (no more), a large pan with peanut oil
- Peel and slice the potatoes into 5 mm x 5 mm (¼" x ¼") strips of equal length
- Place the raw chipped potatoes into a large bowl of cold water as you prepare them
- When the oil reaches 165° C (325° F), drain the potatoes and pat dry with a towel
- Fry the chips for just 3 minutes, in small batches so the oil stays hot
- Drain and allow to return to room temperature
- Increase the heat of the oil to 190° C (375° F)
- Again, in small batches, fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes
- Drain cooked chips and place on a rack in the preheated oven until all of the chips are cooked
- King Edward
- Maris Piper
We have a number of chip (french fries) recipes:
- Classic french fries
- Heston Blumenthal's Triple Cooked Chips
- Spiced rooster oven chips
- Potato wedges recipe
- Tex-Mex potato wedges
- What are the best potatoes for chips
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.