Chicken tikka masala
Worth taking time over
The Indian classic (that's probably more English👨, than Indian👳) - Jerry
Add this creamy sauce to chicken tikka pieces and you'll have the ladies favourite Indian meal!
It takes a bit of time and it's a bit of a fiddle but it's worth it for that special occasion. Oh, and men like it too!
- 1 cm (1/2 ") peeled root ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground white cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black cumin (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon tandoori colouring (very optional)
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk or a 2 cm (1") block of creamed coconut block
- 112 ml (4 fl oz) liquid from pre cooked chicken tikka masala (or chicken stock)
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 heaped teaspoons of ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil for frying
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the garlic and ginger together with the salt
- Gently fry the onions in the ghee or vegetable oil for 4 minutes
- Add the ginger and garlic an cook for a further 2 minutes
- Add the powdered spices and cook for anther 2 minutes
- Pour in the stock, coconut block and the cream and heat gently, stirring until the coconut block has melted. Don't boil.
- Add the cooked tandoori chicken pieces and simmer gently for 5 minutes so the sauce permiates the meat.
Serve hot with rice and a naan bread
Serve with tandoori lamb or tandoori prawns instead of chicken tikka
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chickentikkamasala #garlic #ginger #chickentikka #ghee #vegetableoil #creamedcoconutblock #turmericpowder #naanbread #groundcoriander #coconutblock