Chicken tikka (cheat)
This is a really simple way to make chicken tikka, (tandoori chicken). All you need are chicken pieces, a pot of yogurt and a jar of ready made curry paste. I've used vindaloo paste but you could use whatever you fancy.
The long you can leave the chicken pieces marinading, the better it will be. I try to leave it a few days if I have managed to think that far ahead.
We have a more authentic chicken tikka recipe here if you want to make it from scratch.
- 4 chicken legs and 4 chicken thighs (or similar selection)
- 500g pot of natural yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of your favourite curry paste
- Lemon juice (optional)
- sea salt (optional)
- I like to remove the skin and trim any fat. The marinade gets better penetration without the skin on and it's also a little healthier.
- Cut 3 or 4 deep slashes down to the bone on each piece. This ensures really good coverage of the marinade.
- Optionally you can marinade the chicken pieces in lemon juice and a good pinch of salt for a few hours before adding the yogurt marinade. This tenderises the chicken.
- Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of your favourite curry paste into about two thirds of the yogurt. You don't need any more yogurt for this recipe so it leaves a little spare to make a dip or dressing to go with the chicken pieces.
- Add the chicken pieces and the marinade to a Lock and Lock style box. replace the lid and shake like mad.
- Refrigerate for a few days if possible shaking it now and then.
- When you are ready to cook them, preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Cook on a grid over a foil-lined oven tray at the top of the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, turning once. Check the chicken is properly cooked, rest for 4 or 5 minutes then serve.
- Chicken tikka
- Chicken tikka masala
- Get chicken pieces the economical way, joint the chicken yourself
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #marinade #yogurt #currypaste #chickentikka #lemonjuice #dip #greensalad #naturalyogurt #barbecue #marinading