From Cookipedia(Redirected from Best for Hummus recipe)
A 1 minute video or details below
The recipe given is for 125 g (4 oz) of chickpeas, though if you are making it, it's probably better to multiply the quantities and make more then freeze the excess as it freezes really well. The amount of garlic that you add is personal taste. I use much more normally.
- 125 g (4 oz) dried chickpeas or 1 large can of chickpeas [about 400g of cooked chickpeas] and omit the soaking stage.
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons light tahini
- 2 Cloves garlic, peeled
- 120 ml (4 fl oz) olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the soaked chickpeas.
- Add to a large pan, cover with water. Do not add any salt, otherwise the peas will not absorb the water properly. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour or until softened. They may take a little longer depending on size and age. A pinch of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) added to the cooking water will shorten the cooking time.
- Drain, rinse and allow to cool.
- Add to a food processor with everything but the olive oil. Blend to a paste, then as if making mayonnaise, gradually drizzle in the olive oil with the motor running.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can always add extra garlic if needed.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more oil if too thick.
You can also cook the chickpeas in a pressure cooker - details here
- A basic hummus recipe using a blender
- A selection of simple ways to vary your hummus intake!
- Hummus with sundried tomatoes
- Hummus with preserved lemons
- Hummus made in a Thermomix
- Another Thermomix hummus recipe
- A melted cheese and hummus bake
- A blog post on the health benefits of hummus + 8 recipes from Jen Reviews (NZ)
- A quick hummus recipe from the Beeb
- Wikipedia hummus article
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.