Zupa ogórkowa (Cucumber soup)
- 4 chicken wings
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 mild chillies, stalks removed
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 2 carrots, scraped and julienned
- ½ of a celeriac, peeled and finely diced or julienned
- 1 parsnip, peeled and finely diced or julienned
- 3 medium potatoes, finely diced
- 9 large gherkins, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 tablespoons of single cream
- Put the chicken wings, salt, pepper, bay leaves and chillies into a large saucepan with the stock.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 25 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the carrots, celeriac, parsnip, and onion, and boil it for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the onion, discard, and add the potatoes to the pan.
- Boil for 10-12 minutes and make sure the potatoes are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the gherkins into a deep frying pan with the melted butter and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and constantly stir it over low heat.
- Add 80-120 ml of water to the pan and continue stirring.
- When the potatoes are cooked, add the cucumber mixture to the saucepan and stir well.
- Boil for 3-5 minutes and season the soup to taste.
- Mix some soup with cream or in a small cup and add it to the pan, or a smaller amount to each individual serving.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.