Veknitsa od mesa (Serbian meat loaf)
- 8 smoked streaky, rindless bacon slices
- 2 lean bacon slices, diced
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- Garlic cloves, to taste, crushed
- 115 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 90 ml milk
- 450 g lean minced beef
- 450 g lean minced pork
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Butter a 1.75 litre loaf tin and line it with the slices of streaky bacon.
- Stretch the slices with the back of a knife, if necessary, to completely fill the tin.
- Fry the diced bacon in a large frying pan until almost crisp.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and fry for a further 23 minutes until they are soft and a pale golden brown.
- In a large bowl soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 5 minutes, or until all the milk is absorbed.
- Add the minced meats, bacon, onion, garlic, herbs and eggs to the breadcrumbs.
- Season and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Level the top and cover the tin with foil.
- Bake for about 1½ hours.
- Turn out and serve in slices.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.