Stuffed beef tomatoes with spicy mince
Back to the 70's
- 8 beef tomatoes with tops cut off and reserved
- 2 tablespoons Belazu extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 Cloves garlic, or to taste, finely chopped
- A couple of pinches of chilli powder, paprika, ground cumin and all spice
- 500g/1lb 2oz lamb mince
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Belazu Rose Harissa or orange biter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bunches fresh mint, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon of dried mint
- 4 tablespoons of dry sherry.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Scoop out the tomato flesh from each tomato and put in a bowl then put to one side. An ice-cream scoop is good for this.
- Keep about half of the tomato flesh, and all of the pips, place in a sieve to drain excess liquid. Discard the rest.
- In a large deep-sided frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook gently till beginning to soften. Then add garlic, one pinch each of the spices and the chillies.
- Give it a good stir and then cook for a couple of minutes.
- Tip in the mince and stir to break it all up. Add the remaining spices, tomato purée, Belazu Rose Harissa, lemon juice and the mint.
- Mix then stir in the reserved tomato flesh till all is combined. Cook gently for about 15 minutes until the mixture is fairly dry.
- When cooked, taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- If the mixture has lots of fat, drain off any excess.
- Sit the tomatoes in a roasting tin then spoon the mixture into each and pop the tomato lid on. Add a tablespoon of sherry to each tomato.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour, then using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the tomatoes to a serving plate.
A few baby home grown sweet peppers have been added as well
Serve with the Greek yogurt.
The original recipe suggested baking onions with the tomatoes to add sweetness and 'help them stand-up'. The sherry now adds the sweetness and if you want to ensure they 'stand-up' use a smaller roasting dish so they are a snug fit.
This amended recipe is now very nice indeed and will be made again!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Belazu products used in this recipe
#stuffedbeeftomatoeswithspicymince #belazu #tomatoes #tomato #mint #spices #mince #onion #sweetpeppers #cumin #lamb