Orange biter (hot chili sauce)
(Redirected from Orange biter)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Another one of my chili sauce creations!
It made more sense to measure the chillies by volume rather than weight. The chili flakes I have are slightly oily and would be heavier than truly dried chillies.
Wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated kitchen when handling this amount of chillies.
- 250 ml malt vinegar
- 350 ml red wine vinegar
- 250 ml juice from preserved lemons (basically very salty lemon juice)
- 200 ml water
- 100 g jaggery
- 2 pints (by volume) of Turkish chilli flakes
- 2 oranges
- Add everything but the oranges to a large pot and bring to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often
- Meanwhile, halve the oranges and extract the juice
- Stir the chilli mix to ensure the jaggery has dissolved
- Mix in the orange juice and add the orange skins (they will be removed and discarded later)
- Simmer the mixture for another 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and leave for 4 hours
- Remove and discard the orange skins, being careful not to waste too much sauce
- Add the mixture to a food processor with a sharp blade and reduce to a puree
- Decant into sterilised jars and store in a dark place for 3 months
This is very good - though it never got its 3 months rest! Only 1 jar left now.
See comments page for details of the even more successful 3rd batch
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#oranges #orange #simmer #juice #jaggery #pints #boil #chilisauce #maltvinegar #puree #sterilisedjars