Squash and pear soup
Just the Best Bowl!
5/5 Great way to serve many dishes, not just soup. Jerry, aka Chef)
- 1 medium-sized squash or pumpkin
- 3 pears, peeled and diced
- 1 whole garlic bulb, 1 cm of top cut off to reveal the cloves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few rosemary or thyme sprigs (optional)
- A gloss of olive oil
- 500ml veg or chicken stock, warmed
- A dash of cream, mascarpone or crème fraîche (optional)
- A small thumb of fresh ginger
- A handful of walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Heat your oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Carve the top off the squash/ pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds. Carve out the flesh inside. Scoop it out with a spoon.
- Roughly chop the flesh. Mix with the pear. Season. Toss on a baking tray, with the pumpkin/squash and garlic. Gloss with olive oil. Tuck in some rosemary/thyme sprigs. Roast for 1hr or till the pumpkin is golden and tender, check throughout cooking.
- Once tender, whizz the flesh with the stock, slowly trickling it in till its as you like. Finish with a little cream, mascarpone or crème fraîche, if you like. Grate in some fresh ginger, to taste. Adjust salt/pepper levels, if needed.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
All of the ingredients in this recipe can be delivered to your door by Abel & Cole; weekly home deliveries of organic fruit and vegetable boxes, and much much more.
#walnuts #cream #squash #squashandpearsoup #pumpkin #freshginger #garlic #thyme #rosemary #mascarpone #scoop