Spicy skewerless kebabs
We had planned shish kebabs, however, this fabulous variation came about because the moment before we came to cook our kebabs, we discovered we had no skewers.
We wont bother getting any skewers in future!
- 1 lamb tenderloin fillet
- 3 whole tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into ½ chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into ½ chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into ½ chunks
- 3 small red onions, cut into quarters
- 1 lime, cut into 6 pieces
- Garlic olive oil
- 4 Pitta breads
- for the marinade
- * 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- * 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- * 1 teaspoon ground black cumin seeds (optional)
- * 2 teaspoons harissa paste, Chili sauce would do as a substitute
- * Squeeze lemon juice
- Mix the marinade mixture together in a bowl
- Cut the lamb into 1/2" pieces, coat with mixture and marinate for at least one hour. I always leave meat marinades much longer. This one probably had 4 hours and was fine.
- In another bowl add all of the vegetables and a couple of glugs of garlic olive oil and coat evenly. I left the tomatoes whole so they would not break up during cooking
- Lay all of the vegetables and the meat out on a hot griddle plate barbecue for 25 minutes, turning regularly
- Just before you are ready to serve, warm the pitta breads on the griddle
- Quarter the tomatoes, discard the limes and serve in the warm pitta bread with spoonfuls of sour cream
Serve with sour cream and chive dip
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.