Spicy honey glazed butternut squash
Tastes as good as it looks 🍠
4.7/5 Nice and easy too. Jerry, aka Chef)
- 1 butternut squash, skin removed with a speed peeler, seeds removed and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped.
- 1 tablespoon of ghee, smen or butter
- 1 tablespoon of runny honey. Tip: Use normal honey and microwave it for a few seconds.
- 3 clove buds
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Pop the butternut squash pieces in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes until the flesh is tender but not mushy.
- Add the butternut squash and red onions to to an ovenproof dish that has been smeared with a little of the butter or ghee.
- Melt the ghee in a pan, add a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper and once it starts to bubble, carefully stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the honey mixture over the squash and onions ensuring they are well coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the middle of the oven, turning once.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#ghee #parsley #clovebuds #butternutsquash #coriander #microwave #smen #speedpeeler #cinnamonstick #runnyhoney #chillipowder