Bubble and squeak
(Redirected from Bubble)
Mum's was the best
Bubble and squeak (sometimes known as bubble or bubble and scrape) is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added.
- 450 g (1 lb) potatoes, unpeeled (Nadine - Saxon - Wilja - Desiree - King Edward)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 70 g (2.5 oz) butter
- 250 g (8 oz) cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped (optional)
- Boil the potatoes in their skins, in lightly salted water for 25 minutes, drain, rub the skins off and chop into cubes
- Using a potato ricer or masher, mash the potatoes with 55 g (2 oz) of the butter, season to taste with salt and pepper
- Meanwhile, place the cabbage, 3 tablespoons water and the remaining 15 g (1/2 oz) butter in a large heavy based pan, cover and gently cook for 10 minutes, or until tender
- Mix the mashed potato and cabbage
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and fry gently until softened, about 4 minutes
- Leaving as much oil in the pan as you can, remove the onions and mix in with the potato and cabbage mixture
- If using spring onions, mix them into the potatoes now
- Make flat patties with the potato mix and fry for 15 minutes on one side
- Add the remaining oil, flip the patties over and fry for a further 10 minutes
You can fry these as separate 'patties' or as pictured, as one large tortilla. If you're careful, you can flip it to cook both sides, I prefer just to stir it up now and then to ensure that you get lots of the lovely crispy caramelised surfaces.
Use left over vegetables instead of cooking afresh.
Use Squash mash for the potatoes.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#bubbleandsqueak #cabbage #potatoes #butter #potato #fry #vegetables #onion #fried #springonions #potatoricer