Shepherd's pie (cheat)
Anne makes this when we are short of time and long on hunger. It's really quick and easy and lasts us for 2 days. A good strong cheese makes all the difference to this simple recipe.
- A few tablespoons of olive oil for frying the onions and garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed (or to taste)
- 450g minced lamb or mutton
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 450g can baked beans
- 1 450g can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of gravy granules or a crumbled beef stock cube
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium / large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- A dash of milk or cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
I know Delia Smith would have us use frozen mash potatoes for a Cheat's Recipe, but I really can't bring myself to buy frozen mash, so...
- Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes, mash with the butter, seasoning and a dash of milk or cream.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mince and fry for a 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the onions and mince to a large oven proof casserole dish. You can of course do the frying in that too if it is suitable.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, baked beans, mixed herbs and stir well. Sprinkle the gravy granules or stock cube over the mixture, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and give it one final mix.
- Carefully layer the mashed potato on the top and using a fork, create plenty of peaks so they brown and crisp during the baking.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden-brown.
Serve with peas.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#garlic #onions #cream #worcestershiresauce #bakedbeans #gravygranules #butter #potatoes #blackpepper #miseenplace #stockcube