Sharba (Libyan soup)
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 125 g lamb, sliced into small pieces
- 60 ml oil or 4 tablespoons smen
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and chilli powder, to taste
- 2 teaspoons baharat
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80 g orzo
- Dried mint leaves, crumbled, to garnish
- Heat the smen or oil in a pan and fry the onion and lamb until the lamb is browned all over and the onion is soft and lightly golden.
- Stir in the parsley, then add the tomatoes, tomato purée, salt and spices.
- Fry for about 4 minutes, or until the spices release their aroma, stirring constantly, then add just enough water to cover the contents of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Add more water, as desired, then stir in the orzo.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender (about 12 minutes).
- Stir in the lemon juice then ladle into bowls and garnish with dried mint leaves
Serve with bread.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.