Sausage meatball pizza
Yet another pizza recipe!
We got some lovely Italian-style sausages from Gourmet sausage maker - Bexley (Hall Place Farmers' Market, Bexley, Kent), but this time, instead of using them as sausages we would extract the sausagemeat from the sausages and make meatballs from them to top the pizza.
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- Cooked meatballs from 3 meaty sausages
- 1 portion of Pizza dough (makes 2 pizzas)
- About 6 tablespoons of Tomato sauce for pizza or passata
- 2 balls mozzarella cheese torn into small pieces(about 250g in total)
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Half of a Polish pickled red pepper, chopped, optional
- Dust your work surface with fine yellow cornmeal
- Divide the pizza dough into two and roll out into two thin 25.5 cm (10 inch) pizzas
- You can leave them in a warm place for an hour or so to rise. I quite like them cooked immediately they are rolled out for a more crispy finish.
- Prick the pizza all over with a fork. This prevents it puffing up too much and burning while it is cooking
- With a deft move, slide the pizza from the pizza peel, on to the preheated pizza stone.
- Cook on one side only for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and spread the each pizza a ball of torn mozzarella cheese.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the top of the cheese - this helps to keep the pizza base dry and crispy.
- Crumble the meatballs and arrange over the topping and drizzle with olive oil - preferably the oil the meatballs were cooked in.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is nicely melted. This should take about 4 minutes under a grill on a pizza stone, if oven baking, about 15 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Repeat for the second pizza.
- Keep the first pizza warm at the bottom of the oven whilst you make the second.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.