One of the most famous of Caribbean dishes, this version of pepperpot comes from Jamaica. Some of the vegetables are rather unusual in the UK, so you should see if you can get them from a specialist West Indian greengrocer.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 500 g callaloo (Amaranth), finely chopped
- 12 okras, finely chopped
- 250 g pigs' tails or salt beef
- 250 g shin of beef
- 2.75 litres water
- 750 ml coconut milk
- 250 g yellow yam, peeled and sliced
- 250 g coco (taro root), peeled and sliced
- 2 escallions, finely chopped
- 1 hot chilli pepper, sliced
- Black pepper
- Put the callaloo, okra, pigs' tails or salt beef and the shin of beef in a large pot with the water.
- Bring to the boil and them simmer until the meats are tender (about 2 hours).
- Add the coconut milk, yam, coco, escallions, chilli pepper and a little ground black pepper.
- Add more water if necessary, although the soup should be fairly thick.
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.