Onion gravy (1)
(Redirected from Onion gravy (1) recipe)
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely sliced (red onions are nice in this)
- 1 Clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250 ml vegetable stock (Marigold is good here)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- A good splash or either: Red wine, white wine, bitter, lager, stout or Guinness
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Louisiana hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Gently fry the onions in a mixture of butter and olive oil, to which a good grind of black pepper has been added.
- This should take about 20 minutes, cook over a very gentle heat and don't rush it. Slow frying caramelises the onions and gives a good colour.
- Once the onions have taken lots of colour, sprinkle the flour over them and stir well to absorb the flavoured fat.
- Add a good splash of your chosen wine or beer and mix well.
- Add the stock, pepper sauce and any optional flavouring, mix in the stock and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve.
Experiment with the following additions, though not in the same gravy:
- A tablespoon of brown sugar
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dried chillies
- Garlic olive oil
- Fresh or dried herbs (thyme is good)
- Soy sauce
- Szechuan peppercorns
- Wholegrain mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Many other gravy recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#onions #oliveoil #butter #gravy #dried #whitewine #thyme #gravybrowning #balsamicvinegar #bitter #boiledorsimmered