From Cookipedia(Redirected from Hyderabadi Lamb with Tomatoes)
- 560g (1 ¼ lb) shoulder of lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes
- Juice from 1 lime
- 6 fat cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground to a powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.25 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee or groundnut oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 450 g can peeled tomatoes, mashed or the equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes, peeled and mashed. Good use for your tomato press!
- 3 to 6 fresh green chillies, cut into rings
- 15 basil leaves, torn or chopped
- Small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
- In a bowl, add the meat, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, lime juice and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Mix well and refrigerate for an hour or so to marinade.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onions for 5 minutes or until just browning.
- Turn up the heat, add the meat with marinade and stir-fry for a few minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the tomatoes, remaining salt, chillies and coriander and simmer gently, covered, for 50 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the basil leaves, stir well and serve.
To pad this out, I also added a portion of frozen butternut squash, extra liquid squeezed out. A few teaspoons of brown sugar made this dish perfect. Test, taste and adjust to suit your preference.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.