- 500 g lamb or mutton, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 250 ml hot water or stock
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 375 ml tomato juice
- 10 French beans, topped and tailed
- 3 green peppers, sliced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill, chopped
- 8 black peppercorns
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat half the oil in a large pan and fry the meat.
- Pour the hot water or stock over it.
- Boil for 20 minutes if using lamb or 50 minutes if using mutton.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5)
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the potatoes, carrot, parsnip, onions, garlic and aubergine for a few minutes.
- Add to the meat, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice, beans, peppers, cauliflower, courgette and salt and bring slowly to the boil.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, peppercorns and cayenne and mix well.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
I see no reason why the whole thing cannot be cooked in a large saucepan on the hob.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#givech #lamb #mutton #tomatoes #fry #boil #tomatojuice #courgette #onions #potatoes #stock