Easy vegetable curry (TM)
- ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 45g peanut (groundnut) oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Pakistani basar or garam masala
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit if you are using vegetable bouillon)
- 2 teaspoon tomato purée or 1 teaspoon concentrated tomato paste
- 450g mixture of frozen vegetables and fresh or tinned tomatoes
- 2 small potatoes, chopped into very small pieces
- 300ml water or vegetable stock
- 170g basmati rice
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Place cumin and mustard seeds into TM bowl and dry roast for 8 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1. Remove and allow to cool.
- Add the oil to the TM and heat for 5 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1.
- Add onion and chop for 5 seconds / Speed 5.
- Add all the spices and cook for 5 minutes / 100°C / Speed 1/ MC Off.
- Add the tomato purée or paste, the tomatoes, vegetables and the water or stock.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 1 / Reverse Blade.
- Empty the contents into a dish which will fit inside the Varoma bowl.
- Add 1 litre water to the TM bowl, add the strainer and pour the rice into it.
- Place the Varoma bowl, containing the vegetables on the top.
- 5 seconds / Speed 5 then 20 minutes / Temp. Varoma / Speed 2½.
- Turn the rice out into a bowl, mix in the coriander leaves and fluff up.
- Serve on plates or in large bowls, with the curried vegetables.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.