Easy sausage and bean cassoulet
Much better than it looks
4.8/5 Tasted fabulous, looks rubbish! Jerry, aka Chef)
Use this recipe as a starting point for your imagination!
We had a small ciabatta loaf, pack of Toulouse sausages from Gourmet sausage maker - Bexley and a large bottle of French flageolet beans from our summer holiday. The rest of the ingredients were odds and ends.
I find the French bottled mogettes à la paysanne to be a little cloying so I tried to adjust this with the creme fraiche. Serving with the steamed broccoli was almost like a palate cleaner. The result was excellent and will be made again.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- A good pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 Toulouse sausages, cut in half
- 850 ml jar of mogettes à la paysanne - not sure if you would find these in the UK but they are very common in mid-France
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon Old India Taco Seasoning or Tex-Mex seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ruby port
- 5 tablespoon creme fraiche
- Add the olive oil and black pepper to a dutch oven, when hot add the chopped onions and the halved Toulouse sausages and saute for 4 minutes
- Stir in the crushed garlic and saute for a minute or so
- Tip in the mogettes and the Taco seasoning and tomato puree and mix well
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to very low and simmer for about 40 minutes. As you can get quite a lot of steam from this you can adjust the consistency to your liking by simmering covered or with the lid half on.
- When there is about 5 minutes left to go, begin steaming the broccoli.
- Stir in the port and creme fraiche and mix well. Bring back to a simmer and remove from the heat. Ensure the mixture does not boil
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#toulousesausages #cremefraiche #steamedbroccoli #tomatopuree #blackpepper #easysausageandbeancassoulet #french #simmer #port #oliveoil #saute