Deep pan pepperoni pizza pie
This is a simplified version of Chicago deep pan pizza that can be quickly made with no fuss. Quite a good recipe to try if you want to impress. With a side-salad it will easily serve 4 people.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1 200 g pepperoni-style sausage, peel off the skin and thinly slice the sausage. Chorizo works equally well in this recipe
- 1 portion of pizza dough
- Fine yellow cornmeal or plain flour for dusting .Students, you can get by without this!
- 110 g (4 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large can of chopped peeled tomatoes, left to drain over a coarse sieve for 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or mixed herbs
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella, torn
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Make the dough as instructed
- Drain the canned tomatoes
- Drain the canned tomatoes, add the herbs and season with salt and pepper
- Spray or oil a deep pan pizza dish or a small oven tray
- Roll out 2/3rds of the dough to about 3mm and line a pan so the dough just overlaps the edges and trim any excess.
- Students: a wine bottle, beer bottle or even beer-can makes a good substitute for a rolling pin!
- Sprinkle the base with the Cheddar cheese and the sliced pepperoni
- Roll out the remaining dough to make a lid
- Wet the edge of the dough so you can make a good seal
- Pinch the lid on and roll the edge over so it joins the base
- This time I'm not making any holes in the lid so it should puff up - might be fun!
- Top with the torn mozzarella and then dab on the tomato topping
- If you have enough spare time leave in a warm place for an hour or so to let it rise first.
- Bake for 45 minutes, resting a sheet of tin-foil on top of the pizza towards the end if it looks as though it might start to burn.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving
Serve with a green salad
Add whatever you fancy, just don't add too much topping or let it get too wet of it could end up rather soggy.
Finely grated parmesan cheese sprinkled on the top gives a nice toasty crust.
- Chicago deep pan pizza
- www.ibelieveicanfry.com/2012/01/chicago-stuffed-pizza.html Julia's Chicago pizza recipe
- Julia's recipes on Cookipedia
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.