Curried carrot soup
- 175g unsalted butter
- 220g onions, chopped
- 2 bulbs garlic, peeled and cloves cut in half if large
- 500g carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- A pinch each of sugar and salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon jalfrezi masala
- 800ml vegetable stock or water to which has been added 2 tsps Marigold Swiss Bouillon Powder or Bron's Spanish vegetable stock concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chillies or a sprig of parsley, to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low-medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots, and stew gently for about 30 minutes until they are soft, but not browned.
- Add a pinch of sugar and salt and continue cooking until the vegetables are beginning to caramelise.
- Meanwhile toast the cumin and nigella seeds in a dry frying pan until fragrant.
- Add the toasted seeds and jalfrezi masala to the vegetables and cook a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve, sprinkled with the chopped chillies or the parsley sprig.
Serve with a nice hunk of bread.
- Based on a recipe by Michael Caines
If it is too thick, add a little more stock or water.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.