Cuban Pudin Diplomático (Diplomatic pudding)
From Carla's recipe blog:
"This recipe was a signature dish that my grandmother served on Sundays after church. It is an inexpensive but festive Cuban dessert."
for the caramel
- 3 cups cubed cuban bread ( If you do not have cuban bread available, then french bread is a decent substitute...but my grandmother, who never wasted food, would use this recipe when she had lots of stale toasted white bread.)
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 450g fruit cocktail, drained [16 oz]
- 1¼ cup Vermouth (My grandmother liked Lillet, a Fruity Vermouth from the Bordeaux region)
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 vanilla pod
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Place oven rack in lower 3rd portion of oven.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour
- Melt the Panela nativo for caramel in a small saucepan over medium heat, about 5-6 minutes. Pour into a 9×9 oven safe dish and swirl to cover entire bottom of dish.
- Arrange bread slices (or bread cubes) over caramel.
- Combine condensed milk, water, vanilla pod and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Combine drained fruit cocktail and Lillet in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly whisk eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl.
- Remove cinnamon stick and vanilla pod from milk mixture.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape up the precious centre goo of vanilla seeds and put it into the milk mixture.
- When milk mixture is only warm, pour the milk mixture into egg mixture and blend.
- Drizzle lillet over bread slices to moisten and distribute fruit evenly over the top.
- Pour milk mixture over bread slices and bake for 80-90 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius.
- Allow pudding to come to room temperature, transfer to refrigerator to chill for at least 2-3 hours before removing from the baking tray.
Flip the pudin on to a lovely serving dish and get yourself a little cafecito.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.