This recipe is based upon Courgette and garlic 'pasta'. Both recipes are an ideal way to use up courgettes. They are best when about 15 cm (6 in). At this size they still have a lovely shine - once the surface turns matt they should really be treated as marrows.
To shred the courgette (zucchini) into 'spaghetti' I found the Oxo Good Grips Julienne peeler to be the quickest and simplest way. With the strips of courgette this thin, they can be cooked in a few minutes.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 or 4 small courgettes, trimmed (topped and tailed)
- 1 tablespoon fine salt
- 100g Jarlsberg cheese or your strong cheese of choice
- 6 tablespoon of good tomato sauce (I've used some of my Tomato sauce for pizza)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly picked tomatoes to garnish (sungold)
- Shred the courgettes into spaghetti with the Oxo Good Grips Julienne peeler
- To reduce the water content of the courgette, add the strips to a sieve with 1 tablespoon fine salt and leave to drain while the onions cook.
- Add the olive oil to a pan or a wok together with a big pinch of salt and stir fry the leeds for 3 or 4 minutes
- Add the crushed garlic and saute for no more than a minute, stirring often.
- Rinse the salted courgette spaghetti under cold running water and dry in a salad spinner
- Toss the courgette strips into the onions and mix well
- Stir fry for 3 or 4 minutes - if you like your courgettes really well cooked, pop a lid on the pan as that helps to steam them
- Heat the tomato sauce and spread on the base of the serving plates - a few seconds in the microwave is an ideal way to do this
- MIx the grated cheese into the cooked 'spaghetti' toss really well and serve immediately so the cheese melts on the place
- Garnish with tomatoes and serve
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#courgette #courgettes #spaghetti #onions #oliveoil #onion #tomatoes #pasta #tomatosauce #stirfry #sieve