Yet another great opportunity to use the Hostess Trolley
This recipe needs to be served correctly! 😊 - The Judge
This recipe is the original one which was served to Queen Elizabeth II on her Coronation day. It was created especially for the occasion by Rosemary Hume and Constance Spry and I have converted the quantities into metric
- 2 young roasting chickens, parson's nose removed.
- Water and a little wine to cover
- Bouquet garni
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 60g onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 125ml red wine
- 90ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, sugar, a touch of pepper
- A slice or two of lemon and a squeeze of lemon juice, possibly more
- 2 tablespoons apricot purée
- 420ml mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lightly whipped cream
- A little extra whipped cream
- Poach the chickens, with the carrot, bouquet, salt and peppercorns, in water and a little wine, enough barely to cover, for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Allow to cool in the liquid.
- Joint the birds, remove the bone with care.
- Heat the oil, add onion, cook gently 3-4 minutes, add curry powder.
- Cook again 1-2 minutes.
- Add purée, wine, water, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, add salt, sugar to taste, pepper, and the lemon and lemon juice.
- Simmer with the pan uncovered 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and cool.
- Add by degrees to the mayonnaise with the apricot purée to taste.
- Adjust seasoning, adding a little more lemon juice if necessary.
- Finish with the whipped cream.
- Take a small amount of sauce (enough to coat the chicken) and mix with a little extra cream and seasoning.
For convenience in serving on the occasion mentioned, the chicken was arranged at one end of an oblong dish, and a rice salad was arranged at the other. The rice salad which accompanied the chicken was of carefully cooked rice, cooked peas. diced raw cucumber, and finely chopped mixed herbs, all mixed in a well-seasoned French dressing.
- Taken from The Constance Spry Cookery Book by Constance Spry and Rosemary Hume, 1956
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#sauce #coronationchicken #wine #whippedcream #cream #chicken #currypowder #lemonjuice #apricot #lemon #bayleaf