Classic liver and bacon with onion gravy
This is the classic way to serve liver and bacon. Quick, easy and very tasty.
- 150 g of liver per person - lambs, calves or pigs liver.
- Olive oil for frying
- Plain flour for coating the liver
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 2 large onions
- A few cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced - optional
- 50 g butter
- 245 ml vegetable stock
- Gravy browning
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Splash of port
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the butter to a pan or wok and add a good grind of black pepper
- Add the onions and optional garlic and sauté on a low heat for 20 minutes stirring now and then.
- Add 1 tablespoon of plain flour and stir in the stock
- Heat and stir until it thickens. If you wish, add a little gravy browning (or soy sauce) to colour the gravy.
- Add a splash of port or sherry and season to taste.
- Grill the bacon util it is crispy.
- Dredge the liver strips in a little seasoned flour and pan fry the liver in a little olive oil for a minute or so on each side.
Just like Mum used to make
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#liver #plainflour #onions #classicliverandbaconwithoniongravy #bacon #gravybrowning #oliveoil #butter #port #gravy #calves