Chicken and mushroom stroganoff
A variation on the traditional Russian dish.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, hammered (see below) and cut into strips
- 150 g (5 oz) Chestnut mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 142 ml (¼ pint ) chicken stock
- 75 ml (5 tablespoons) brandy - dry sherry will do at a push
- 142 ml tub of sour cream
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and then beat to an even thickness by placing the chicken breasts between two sheets of cling film and clubbing them with the base of a frying pan 'Jamie Oliver style'
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until soft (about 4 minutes)
- Add the chicken and fry until golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes
- Add the brandy and stir the pan to deglaze
- Add the stock, mustard, and sour cream and bring to the boil
- If you feel it needs to be a little thicker, add a teaspoon of cornflour to a tablespoon of cold water, mix well and stir into the sauce at this stage.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.